Termites are a huge problem for any homeowner. What’s more important is protecting your home before signs of termites arise which will help to save money and keep your loved ones safe. It’s strange that termites though small in size that have been nesting in your home for years can cause lakhs and lakhs of damage. The worst part is that this type of damage is not even covered by homeowners insurance.
Before calling out for the termite infestation as a help, make sure you are searching for the early signs that depict your house is hoarding with termites. Start being proactive about the prevention of termite damage by searching for termite signs in your home on a daily basis and try to maintain a termite protection plan by a professional company that will include an annual termite inspection. This will avoid the worry of having to repair new termite damage that has taken place in your home.
What are the signs of termites in your home?
The main step in prevention is to be on the alert regarding termites. Here are the signs to look out for if you suspect termites:
- A swarm of termites usually comes up from the soil around your home frequently.
- Even cracking paint on the walls of the room could be a sign of termite frass (droppings) which can also be due to a moisture issue.
- Muddy tubes on wood beams, in crawl spaces, or on exterior walls are a dangerous spot too.
- Drywood termites can be easily recognized by tiny fecal pellets that accumulate in small piles below “kick out” holes from their gallery system.
How to get rid of termites?
1. Try setting up a cardboard trap. Remember to take a couple of flat strips from cardboard, then it’s preferable to make them wet, and finally, stack them on another area where termites are likely to be. You need to know that termites feed on cellulose (cardboard) making it an excellent spot trap. When the cardboard gets infested with termites, burn it in a safe place. Repeat multiple times if necessary.
2. Allow the wood to sunlight exposure. In case the termite-infested tool is a piece of furniture or maybe any item that can be removed from your home, make sure to expose it to sunlight. Termites lurk mostly in darkness and the heat as well as the light from the sun will kill them. On a sunny day, make sure to place your furniture outside for a longer duration- preferably 2-3 days to get rid of termites.
3. Boric acid is a life-saver: One of the most common and effective ways to dispatch termites is using boric acid. In fact, it is considered the main insecticide used in many store-bought termite insecticides. It is even helpful for keeping cockroaches that enter your home through sinks, toilets, etc. The termite’s nervous system starts dysfunctioning while dehydrating them once they come in contact with boric acid.
- The ideal and the least time-consuming way to kill termites with boric acid is to use bait stations.
- Try coating or spray the wood evenly with boric acid.
- You can even place the boric acid bait in your garden space or in an open infestation.
- Continuously keep a check on the bait station and replenish it with boric acid when it runs out. You could spot the termite carcasses nearby.
4. Use beneficial nematodes. Beneficial nematodes are said to be tiny unsegmented worm species that are natural parasites to insects like termites. Nematodes first try to search for hosts, such as termite larvae, and burrow into them, causing termites to die within 48-72 hours. You can buy beneficial nematodes at your local garden supply store or online. For use in soil temperatures above 60 °F (16 °C), nematodes should be used immediately after they are purchased.
5. Use termite-control products: Easily available at any local supply store, you can buy and use termite-control products to get rid of these uninvited pests. For example, termite-baiting control methods or a liquid termite-killing product is good for killing termites on the spot. Make sure to lay the bait near infested areas and spray the purchased product on those infested areas.
Termite infestation can become a major problem if not looked into within the appropriate time. The above mentioned tips will surely help you overcome termites in your home. It is important to consider professional help if the infestation seems to be out of control. You can always rely on Aishwaryam Facility Managament’s pest control services in Chennai for a 100% thorough and effective clean. Our expertise lies in various manpower services starting from housekeeping to pest control to deep cleaning. Book your services at +91 99419 95555 and bid goodbye to those harmful pests.